Christmas in Charlotte, North Carolina: What to See and Do During the Holidays
Charlotte, North Carolina, is a welcoming city with a plethora of activities especially during the holiday season. Here are my picks for the best things to during Christmas in Charlotte.
- Stroll through Charlotte Christmas Village, a European-inspired Christmas Market located in Romare Bearden Park. You’ll find an array of vendors selling crafts, clothing, jewelry, and other gifts for everyone on your holiday list. While shopping, you can nibble on German glazed nuts and sip mulled wine, cider, beer, wine, or the traditional drink called Glühwein. Hungry? There’s a variety of foods available, but I highly recommend a German bratwurst or knockwurst, with or without sauerkraut. For dessert, head on over to Helmut’s to savor an Austrian strudel. Whether you choose apple, cherry, cheese, or apricot and almond, you’ll be in holiday heaven! Admission to the village is free, and this little piece of Europe in North Carolina is open from just before Thanksgiving through Christmas Eve Day. For more information, head on over to their website.
- See the lights at “Holidays at the Garden” in the Daniel Stowe Botanical Gardens. Located just 30 miles outside of Charlotte, the Daniel Stowe Botanical Gardens puts on a dazzling display that’s fun for the entire family. Stroll through the gardens to see over 600,000 holiday lights. Be sure to check out the conservatory to see towering fanciful seasonal displays, tropical plants, beautiful orchids, and a fairy village. Inside, marvel at the huge white orchid Christmas tree and the model train displays. Children will enjoy a horse-drawn carriage ride and a variety of activities scattered throughout the gardens. Holidays at the Garden runs from mid-November to New Year’s Eve. For exact details, visit their website.
- Take a spin around the ice rink at the annual “Holiday on Ice” rink located on the NASCAR Hall of Fame Plaza.
- See a Singing Christmas Tree in an hour-long presentation put on by the Carolina Voice Choir and other local singing, dancing, and puppet groups.
- Check out Christmas Town USA which features over 375 trees, 200 wreaths, and a 46 foot image of Old Man Winter blowing snowflakes. The town of McAdenville has been attracting visitors to its holiday displays for over 60 years!
- Sing along to holiday songs with animatronic bears at Founders Hall in the Bank of America Corporate Center. The 45 minute performances are free and run every hour on the hour.
Locations for Christmas in Charlotte
Click on the name to get specific driving directions.
Charlotte Christmas Village is located at Romare Bearden Park at 300 South Mint Street in Charlotte.
The Daniel Stowe Botanical Gardens are located at 6500 S New Hope Rd in Belmont.
Hoilday on Ice is located at 400 East Martin Luther King Junior Boulevard in Charlotte.
Founders Hall is located at 100 N Tryon St in Charlotte.